New members are fundamental to AMERSA. It is a membership-driven organization; the creation of task forces, the educational initiatives, the quality and atmosphere of the annual conference – all of these depend solely on the work of members. As a result, members have an unusually strong hand in shaping the organization’s future.
AMERSA is a national multidisciplinary organization of interdisciplinary leaders in substance use education, research, care and policy. Founded in 1976, AMERSA is 300 members strong. With support from the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, the Health Resources and Services Administration, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, and the National Institute on Drug Abuse, AMERSA is expanding science-based education in substance abuse for all health care professionals.
AMERSA welcomes ALL health professionals for FULL Membership including:
- Social Workers
- Public Health Practitioners
- Substance Abuse Counselors and Health Educators
- Physician Assistants
- Allied Health Professionals
AMERSA’s continuing success comes from its multidisciplinary approach, creating a deeper understanding of ways to improve substance abuse treatment and prevention.
You will receive a full range of benefits from membership in AMERSA, a non-profit organization:
- An annual national conference with reduced rates for members.
- Free electronic access and a print subscription to Substance Abuse, AMERSA’s peer-reviewed scientific journal.
- A national voice supporting academic programs in universities, professional schools, and organizations that emphasize substance abuse education and research.
- $225 Full Membership is for those who support the mission of the Association and have evidence of scientific training or specialized experience beyond the undergraduate level. Full members shall have the right to vote and hold elected office.
- $125 Associate Membership is for those with a demonstrated interest or involvement in the field of substance use, who are enrolled in a training program, or who do not meet the criteria for Full membership. Associate Members shall NOT have the right to vote or hold office; however, they may serve on committees.
- $0 Emeritus Membership shall be by invitation only, by vote of the Board, in recognition of long service to AMERSA. Emeritus members shall enjoy the rights and privileges of Full membership.
- $1,000 Corporate Membership may be conferred by discretion of the Board. Membership benefits include 2 conference registrations at the member rate, and 5 e-subscriptions to Substance Abuse.
You may join in one of two ways: complete the online application or download the application and mail with check to the AMERSA National Office.
For further information, please contact:
AMERSA National Office
135 Lyndon Road
Cranston, RI 02905
phone: (401) 243-8460
fax: (877) 418-8769
e-mail: contact us